soup with attitude

View previous topic View next topic Go down

soup with attitude

Post  Fran on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:11 am

A soup thread would be great now that winter is coming Smile My sister who is a great cook sent me this recently when I told her I want to try something different and spicy with chicken. I think she adapted a recipe to suit her own tastes.

Chicken Soup with Attitude

Cut up some chicken thighs into small bite size pieces and have ready. Chop up an onion and sauté in a little oil. Add 2 chopped cloves of garlic and 4 chopped jalapeno peppers and cook a minute or so until the fragrance is released. Keep cooking while you add a dessertspoon of chilli powder - or two - and a tabs of ground cumin. Add the chicken. Add 4 cups of chicken stock, 3 or 4 large fresh ripe tomatoes diced - or a tin, a tabs of honey, a small bottle of salsa verde, a teas oregano, bay leaf, fresh salt and pepper to taste. Simmer all this very gently for an hour, turn off heat and stir in some fresh corn kernels and chopped coriander. Serve with your favourite bread, tortillas.

Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: soup with attitude

Post  Blossom on Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:43 am

Blody 'Ell - that is a lot of hot! I might try it though.............love my chilli

Blossom
Admin

View user profile http://cosmicconnection.forumc.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran on Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:57 am

I'll let you try it first then Laughing I plan to omit the chilli powder for the first tasting but I'm assured it's okay - I did check quantities Very Happy

Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:42 am

Spiced Pumpkin soup

Preheat oven.
Cube a butternut pumpkin ( 1 - 1½ kg ), drizzle with oil, season and bake about 20 mins.
Find small saucepan and reduce 2 cups apple cider to one.
Saute a diced onion until caramelized. Add a teas ground ginger, ½ teas cardamom, 1 teas allspice, ¼ teas cayenne and cook another minute or two until fragrant.
Pumpkin should be cooked so add that with 3 cups of chicken or vegetable stock and cider and simmer gently for 25 mins with half a cinnamon stick.
Discard cinnamon stick and puree soup with your stick blender.
Stir in ½ cup cream and ½ cup milk and cook for a little until it reaches the consistency you like.

Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:36 am

Mulligatawny Soup
(India and Pakistan – also Burma and Sri Lanka)

1 small chicken
2 large onions
6 cloves garlic
5cm piece of green ginger
2 tbspns ghee
1 tbspn tumeric
2 tspns cumin
2 tspns coriander
¼ to ½ tspn chilli powder (optional)
2 heaped tblspns lentil flour (besan), or split pea flour
4 chicken soup cubes
30 to 60g frozen coconut cream
1 cup cooked rice
lemon wedges – minced parsley, or minced fresh coriander

Disjoint the chicken, put it into a saucepan with 4 ½ cups of water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer until meat is tender.
Meanwhile peel the onions, garlic and ginger and chop very fine.

In another saucepan heat the ghee and fry the onions, garlic & ginger until they begin to brown. Lower heat, add the spices and stir, then pour over chicken stock from the first pan. Cover and let simmer. Remove the meat from the chicken bones, cutting it into bite size pieces. Add meat to the soup, also the soup cubes. Put the lentil flour into a small bowl, add a little milk and mix to a smooth paste. Then add a few spoonfuls of the soup stock and when properly mixed pour it into the soup and stir well. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer gently for another 15 to 20 minutes. Finally add the coconut cream. Add salt to taste.

A spoonful of rice is put into each plate first, then the soup is ladled over and topped with a sprinkle of parsley. Lemon wedges are served separately. Serves 6.

From Curries from the Sultan’s Kitchen by Doris M Ady.
1968 Reed Books Pty Ltd (Revised edition 1980)

guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  karingal on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:16 am

To add to the above soup ideas....

I like to serve chicken soup in deep bowls on a bed of angel hair pasta, with crusty rolls. To cook the angel hair ...break and scatter (like fiddlesticks...lol..) 2 to 3 inch pieces of AH pasta in a microwave dish. add boiling water ..NOT quite covering the pasta. Zap for 3 or 4 minutes. Remove and cover with lid. Let stand 3 or so minutes.Result...pasta which should not need draining. Times depend on the wattage of your microwave, of course.

karingal
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:12 pm

Guzzi, thanks for the Mulligatawni recipe. I have been looking for one for yonks. I first had this soup when I was a kid when my Dad took me out for lunch for a treat. It was my first taste of anything exotic ( being as we lived in the Yorkshire Dales) so remains with me as a 'special' food. Fran, Love the Pumpkin soup with sider vinegar idea, so many pumpkins in my yard, this might appeal to Bob who is a miserable b when I make pumpkin soup and eats it 'with long teeth' to use a pidgin expression. I've never tried Angels Hair pasta, sounds delightful. I gave the littlies chicken soup served on a half golden nugget squash - they loved it!

Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:18 pm

I got this recipe from a cafe owner in New Zealand - it is so delicious.

Pumpkin Orange and Mint Soup

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 or 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp medium curry powder
1 and 1/2 kg pumpkin, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1cm cubes
2 or 3 strips of orange rind
Juice of one orange
500 ml vegetable or chicken stock
2 Tbsp chopped mint leaves
2 Tbsp cream (optional)

For croutons:
2 or 3 slices of stale bread, crusts removed, cut into 1½cm cubes.
Just before serving, heat a bit of oil in a frying pan and fry bread cubes to brown all over.

In a large saucepan, over medium heat, put butter and extra virgin olive oil. When hot, add onion and garlic and cook for two or three minutes until onion has softened. Add pumpkin and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add orange rind, juice, vegetable stock and mint leaves. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 45 minutes. Remove three or four tablespoons pumpkin. Reserve. Blend the soup in a food processor or with a potato masher.

Serve soup in warmed bowls. Stir in cream, if using and add reserved pumpkin to each bowl, top with more mint and croutons and a grating of orange rind.

Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:40 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top