What's for tea?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's for tea?

Post  Mad Gnome on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:13 am

We seem to go through phases where either we are bursting with ideas of what to cook for tea, or we just can't think of anything we could have.

We are going through a 'dry' spell at the moment.

Can I be nosy and ask - what's for tea? (I'm sure to get inspired by your answers.)

Edit: It's now after tea and it was gorgeous! Not telling anyone - as you haven't told me either! Twisted Evil

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

View user profile http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What's for tea?

Post  guzzigirl on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:14 am

well last night I tried for the first time a Seafood Paella, and it was yummo.

I bought this enameled cast iron pan at Safeway as it looked like the style recommended for Paella.

Principal ingredients. Do not get distracted when roasting the saffron threads or you WILL burn them! Green prawns, squid, mussels, fish, rice, some flathead frames made a lovely stock.

The cook-up.

Dinner is served.

The Recipe.
Seafood paella
INGREDIENTS
6 tbsp olive oil
6 large prawns
250g calamari or cuttlefish, cleaned and cut into rings
salt and pepper

1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped

1/4 tsp saffron
2 tsp sweet paprika
1 litre water
1/3 cup peas
400g Calasparra rice
150g white fish such as flathead, snapper or ling, cut into large pieces
12 mussels, cleaned
2 lemons, cut into wedges
2 tbsp chopped parsley

METHOD
Heat a paella pan, then add two tablespoons of the olive oil, then the prawns and calamari. Cook for a few minutes until brown all over and season with salt and a little pepper. Remove to a bowl while you prepare the sofrito.
For the sofrito: Add the rest of the oil to the same pan and when hot, add the finely chopped onion.
Cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the onion has softened and is golden. Now add the garlic, and cook five minutes more until lightly coloured and softened.
Add the chopped tomatoes, season liberally with salt and pepper and cook slowly until the sofrito has reduced and there is no liquid left. Add about one quarter cup of water and continue to cook until the liquid again has reduced, then set aside. This should all take about 45 minutes.
The sofrito should have a concentrated flavour and pulpy consistency. You can prepare it up to a day ahead.
Lightly roast the saffron and dissolve in two tablespoons of water, as in recipe at right. Put the paella pan back on a medium heat. Put in the prawns, calamari and paprika and cook, stirring for a couple of minutes. Now add the water and bring to the boil. Taste the mixture - it should be very tasty, if not add salt.
Add the saffron, peas and the rice and bring to the boil. Stir briefly then turn to a low heat. Place the pieces of fish and mussels over the rice and poke them in a little so they can cook. Do not stir any more.
Cook the paella 15-18 minutes or until the rice is plump and almost soft - it should be a little resilient. Turn the heat to high and cook a couple more minutes. Any remaining liquid will boil away and a crust will form on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat and cover with a tea towel for 10 minutes; uncover and leave to rest for another 5-10 minutes before serving.
Squeeze over the lemon juice and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve directly from the pan.
Serves: 6
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:47 am

Yum, yum. Guzzi, thanks for that pictorial and the recipe. That looks delicious!

How do you like your enameled cast iron pan? I am slowly getting rid of any teflon pan around here but still want something non-stick.

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

View user profile http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:24 am

Looks amazing - what a good cook you are! Great photo sequence. I've got a load of mushrooms so am going to make a beef stroganoff in the slow cooker. I make it with barley. Trying not to buy in too much before we go on holiday so I'm having to use a bit of imagination. This will be the last of the organic beef - it's lasted since Christmas so I can't complain. By the time we get back we might have to buy for a bit then all things being equal, there will be more coming.
Blossom
Admin

View user profile http://cosmicconnection.forumc.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Mad Gnome wrote:Yum, yum. Guzzi, thanks for that pictorial and the recipe. That looks delicious!

How do you like your enameled cast iron pan? I am slowly getting rid of any teflon pan around here but still want something non-stick.

worked well for the Paella! just needed a soak to remove the crusted on stuff. Generally I like the heavier pans like cast iron as they hold the heat well.
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum