Organic fertilizer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Organic fertilizer

Post  me2u on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:39 am

Hi All,
I found this interesting piece of info while surfing the net. www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0302hsted/030202/03020208.html
The link should take you there if you wish to have a gander I have made up his formula 1 part bone meal, 1 part garden lime, 1/2 part kelp meal.
The author suggests other types of meal for those opposed to using bone meal e.g. soya meal, linseed meal etc.
In my case I used the ratio by volume using the same measure so no need to use a half measure. 2 parts blood & bone 2 parts garden lime 1 part kelp meal mixed thoroughly all these then applied to patch.
I got started on this quest of finding out more about kelp meal after hearing about it on the radio garden talk back
on ABC local the host suggested that the kelp meal was a cheaper option available from produce stores in bulk so I rang up the local produce store and to my surprise they stocked it so I purchased 5 kilos for $22.00 .
I guess you Tassie devils will be able to get the stuff cheap as thats where it comes from.The radio host recommended that the kelp meal could be spread around plants and would dissolve into the soil slowly but did not say how much to apply.
Cheers J Very Happy

me2u

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Organic fertilizer

Post  Fran on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Interesting article - thanks Me2u Smile Kelp supplies potash and flowering and fruiting plants need it.

Worth knowing too that you can grow your own fertilizers. Mown grass is a wonderful source of nitrogen. I cringe when I see mown grass raked and dumped in bins – it’s just so wasteful. I suppose though that many people bung a lot of weedkiller on it which I'd be wary of putting on a vegetable garden.

Another easy way to replenish soil is to grow a green manure crop. Throw in some sunflower, lucerne, oats, comfrey, peas, mustard, lupin, clover, packet of dried peas or bird seed – whatever suits your particular situation. Wait for it to come up and then dig it in while still green and sappy and voila – lots of nitrogen.

And then of course there's your own homemade compost which might just be a pile of raked leaves mounded up and mixed with manure or B & B, lawn grass or straw and allowed to rot down - doesn't have to be complicated or expensive Smile
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:36 pm

The Kelp used to be free on the beaches but the last year or so, the council have banned the picking of it. This is because people abused it and took trucks and trailers onto the beach ruining the dune plantings. It can be used as a mulch in large quantities and breaks down fairly quickly. We still take a plastic bag with us and pick a bit at a time and soak it in water. I dont know if anyone is familiar with Steve Solomon ( I know Helen is) and he recommends Kelp. I guess his supply might have dried up, because more and more, it is becoming a commercial venture. King Island has a huge Bull Kelp industry. We used to be able to buy bone meal and blood and bone direct from the abbatoirs - they would practically give it away, but like everything else it is now commercial. I did manage to get some Sulphate of Potash from the produce store for 1/6th of the price of plastic bagged labelled stuff. Enough to last me about 15 years I reckon!
Blossom
Admin

View user profile http://cosmicconnection.forumc.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top