Last Child in the Woods- Richard Louv

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Last Child in the Woods- Richard Louv

Post  Fran on Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:22 am

I am going to hunt this down for the grandsons.

Louv argues that kids are so plugged into television and video games that they've lost their connection to the natural world. Found this comment on http://www.thesca.org/About_SCA/News_Releases/Last_Child_in_the_Woods_Author_Richard_Louv_Coming_to_Upper_Valley/

"I like to play indoors better 'cause that's where all the electrical outlets are," reports a fourth grader. Is there a direct link between the lack of nature in the lives of today's youthful wired generation and disturbing childhood trends, such as obesity, depression, and attention deficit disorder? And will today’s children be prepared to steward our natural resources as adults?

Yes - will they?

Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Last Child in the Woods- Richard Louv

Post  karingal on Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:21 am

Fran wrote:I am going to hunt this down for the grandsons.

Louv argues that kids are so plugged into television and video games that they've lost their connection to the natural world. Found this comment on http://www.thesca.org/About_SCA/News_Releases/Last_Child_in_the_Woods_Author_Richard_Louv_Coming_to_Upper_Valley/

"I like to play indoors better 'cause that's where all the electrical outlets are," reports a fourth grader. Is there a direct link between the lack of nature in the lives of today's youthful wired generation and disturbing childhood trends, such as obesity, depression, and attention deficit disorder? And will today’s children be prepared to steward our natural resources as adults?

Yes - will they?

I wonder if part of the problem may be that so many houses now have a backyard the size of a handkerchief. In many of them...you could not swing a cat.

karingal
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl on Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Given that environmental issues are now taught at school, and the internet provides an almost unlimited source of information, I don't think that our natural resources will necessarily be in any more danger than they are now. They may well look back at our generation and wonder why we did so poorly. However I do think that physical play has an important place in a child's development. Having said that not everyone is cut out for a highly active life. I was hopeless at sports and would rather bury myself in a good book. But because of my parents' love of nature and bushwalking I had more opportunity to visit the "bush" than most. Yet despite all this nature activity as a child, I am now obese, suffer from depression, and at times have a short attention span. So what does this say to this theory?

guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:35 am

Suppose you have to be born to it - have a natural affinity - as Peter Cundall has. He was growing vegetables to feed the family when growing up still and visited gardens and parks all over Europe while serving in a British Parachute Regiment during the last war. When he served in Korea he went to Hiroshima to see the gardens that were recreated after the dropping of the bomb. For him it has been a lifelong passion. You can't teach passion but a passionate gardener might inspire someone else to create his own.

A garden can be an imaginative world for kids where the taste of nectar, the feel of prickles, the play of light on foliage, the stickiness of fruit, even a sting from a bee connects them to the natural world. They can count leaves on clover, make a mudpie or play I spy from the branches of a tree. It's better than a storybook because they are engaged in their own story - are it's main characters sunny

Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Belladonna on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:47 am

I don't know that it's an "affinity with nature" thats the problem so much as the death of imagination.I remember playing imaginary games for hours in our back yard with my siblings,telling my mother I couldn't come for lunch because I was stuck in a river in a boat.....she told me I had better paddle or I would be eating cold soup!
The play a child does seems to stop at 8 when suddenly they are now labeled tweens,surely the are still children.Dolls are banished after 6 it seems when bratz come in and all that commercialized stuff.Play seems to need to be taught again.Go outside kids what will I do out there here take 2 old blankets a wooden spoon and a sauce pan lid and build a space ship.Challenge a child (under 12 ) near you with this and you may be shocked.

Belladonna
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:06 am

You are so right - agree entirely. Television producers are doing the imagining for them and tvs have become babysitters.

My kids had cousins to stay once and they didn't have a clue how to amuse themselves. Mine had bikes, horses, cricket bats and tennis racquets, a few board games and a library - that was it. The cousins didn't know how to play outside, never climbed a tree or made a cubby . Were too scared to race a bike or go cart down a hill or go for a walk down the track with the dogs because they'd been warned about snakes. Couldn't play tennis and didn't like cricket - footy was too rough said their mother. So we taught them card games and how to drive a old beat up Toyota - they loved it and always wanted to come back - brushiup on their driving skills and try to win at poker Smile

Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:11 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top