Mud Mud Glorious Mud!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mud Mud Glorious Mud!

Post  Blossom on Tue May 27, 2008 10:05 am

Yesterday it rained most of the day but in the afternoon we got 27 ml in 20 minutes. Burnie was flooded briefly and the main (only) street in the "CBD" of Wynyard was under water for a while. The garden wall stood up to the onslaught of water and drained beautifully through the ag pipes we put behind it. We get run off from the hill behind us, and have managed to divert most of it, but the drain didn't cope. I've been out this morning pulling up weeds - they pull out well in the mud! I've got the onion bed ready to plant the seedlings tomorrow. I am one filthy female! I can hear my mother in the background of my mind complaining that Linda revels in dirt.

Blossom
Admin

View user profile http://cosmicconnection.forumc.biz

Back to top Go down

Re: Mud Mud Glorious Mud!

Post  Scarecrow on Tue May 27, 2008 10:38 am

Blossom wrote:I am one filthy female! I can hear my mother in the background of my mind complaining that Linda revels in dirt.

Very Happy Now that sounds familiar! Very Happy

It's just as well weeds come out easily from wet soil...the rain sure brings plenty of them up! Rolling Eyes

Hope the blocked drain didn't mean you had any damage.

Scarecrow
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

View user profile http://scarecrowsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom on Tue May 27, 2008 10:51 am

No, we dug a drain at the back of the block to divert water off the hill, it just overflowed a bit with the amount of rain that came down. We are getting seepage today off the hill, but it is draining away into the storm drain. What a waste eh? All the houses on this side of the Bluff back onto a steep hill which is supposed to be parkland maintained by the council but unless we complain about fire hazard with long grass they do nothing. All the residents got together and dug a drain and asked council where to divert it - they couldn't have cared less, but a tank sunk into the ground would have made it useful for us all to reuse. Unfortunately that got into the too hard basket. There are only 10 households involved.

Blossom
Admin

View user profile http://cosmicconnection.forumc.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran on Tue May 27, 2008 11:41 am

Post the council some info on swales - sometimes you wonder how councillors get elected.

Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate on Tue May 27, 2008 2:16 pm

Shocked hope you washed your hands before dinner, "thinking your Mum's mind here " Laughing

Glad you had lots of rain and the new wall held up cheers

The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top