capsicum jam anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

capsicum jam anyone?

Post  Fran on Fri May 02, 2008 7:01 am

Snuck outside on my crutches for a bit this morning to see what I had in the way of edibles. Hiding under a clump of Italian parsley badly in need of a haircut I found 2 huge capsicums. Kept going and found some more sun baking against some rocks so now I have enough to make a sweet & sour capsicum jam that I adapted from a recipe out of a magazine a few years ago.

Slice or dice 4 to 6 largish capsicums. Chop 2 sweet onions into small chunks. Saute slowly with 1 or 2 minced garlic cloves and sea salt to taste. A pinch or two suits me but Iím not big on salt, you might like more. Take time with this and let them soften properly before covering and letting them caramelize together for another 20 mins or more. Then stir in a tablespoon of red wine vinegar and let cool. You can use it as an appetizer but I like it with roast chicken or lamb.

So easy and we'll be having it with the lamb roast tonight Smile

Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: capsicum jam anyone?

Post  The Estate on Fri May 02, 2008 7:09 am

You still hobbling about Fran, that's no good, how much longer before you make a full recovery Sad

The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran on Tue May 06, 2008 12:40 pm

Thee, - sorry I never answered you - be awhile yet - stood up on my own two feet for the first time a week or so ago. I can't walk - am doing all the physio I can but it's not happening Sad Doctor thinks a year before I'll be gardening so have to do if from the sidelines. DH is not into flowers and such but will at least water and prune and he is keeping the vegie garden up to date. He is doing a bit of housework too - I haven't a hope of hanging clothes on the line Very Happy

Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate on Tue May 06, 2008 12:47 pm

LoL, dont my hanging out the clothes but bring ing them and and folding, bit like drying the cuttlery Rolling Eyes , so long, I'm sorry to hear that, well at least Winter is coming on and not that much happens then Sad

The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stecranat on Wed May 07, 2008 4:07 pm

Fran I found a recipe similar to yours a few weeks back...beaut used over steak etc... (wished I had found the recipe sooner as all summer long I have been throwing caps at everyone who visited here..we had a huge crop this season)

Patricia

Stecranat
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo on Sun May 11, 2008 3:34 pm

Recipe copied. Can't wait till capsicum season now. Thanks Fran.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robbin on Mon May 12, 2008 6:46 am

Fran, we've been having something similar, onions and capsicums with tomatoes - the last on the plants go red but are not very tasty - and squished olives and garlic added just before serving. Long slow simmer makes it very yummy. And makes the kitchen smell good too!

Penny, who's sorry to hear your gardening is on hold.

robbin
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran on Mon May 12, 2008 9:06 am

Sounds yum Penny - I'll take them either which way - the olives would go well with pasta Smile

I do much the same sort of thing with tomatoes because I always have plenty - will post that method too because it is a great way to dispose of excess Smile

Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

baked tomatoes with balsamic

Post  Fran on Mon May 12, 2008 9:31 am

Chop a quantity of tomatoes into halves or quarters, many as you like and spread out over a roasting dish.

Reach for the garlic cloves and chuck them on with some basil leaves or your freshest home-dried basil and add some sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

Drizzle over some olive oil and balsamic.

Oven should be heating up while you prepare and then it's just a matter of slow roasting - at least an hour - I often give it much longer if I have time - temperature low - round 150. It's important to cook them slowly.

I sometimes tear something interesting in the way of bread apart and add.

The recipe is just adapted from many similar ones I've come across. Suits me because I'm never without the ingredients.

If you want faster you could layer with sliced onions and bread and bake in a casserole dish on medium temperature. My kids particularly loved it done this way but I went easy on the onion. If I didn't have balsamic, I sprinkled each layer with sugar Cool I think that method came from the Schauer Australian Cook Book - which is a wonderful book for simple desserts by the way - my kids grew up on them. They had a no failure rate Smile

PS - you don't have to peel the garlic Smile

Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran on Mon May 12, 2008 10:38 am

Thought I posted it in a separate thread Rolling Eyes - perhaps Blossom will move it if she gets a minute - doesn't matter really.

Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum